Makam Camp is a 2-3 days event, organized to increase the knowledge and practical experience in Turkish music makams. Each camp focuses on one makam.
The events are planned to get detailed information and practice, from instructors who have the knowledge and experience on Turkish music, its theory, makam, music and therapy connection. Till today Fatih Oral, Michael Bachmeier-Ekşi and Hossain Vali joined as instructors.
In the Makam Camp, instructors and students come together to study a selected makam. They make theoretical and practical lessons, play together and spend the day together. This allows them to study the makam in detail, from various perspectives.
Makam Camp Topics
Although each camp is slightly different generally these topics are covered in each camp.
- Theoretical description of makam. The scale (dizi), the progression (seyir), scale practice, identification of transitions (gecki).
- Analyzing and playing the example piece. Finding the semi-cadence (asma karar) notes and the transitions.
- Exercises on the transitions of the makam.
- Introduction of typical melodies of the makam.
- Exercises on the key intervals of the makam.
- Improvisation and composition exercises. Analysis of compositions.
In addition to these, in some of the camps Turkish music and movement therapy is studied through the perspective of Rahmi Oruc Guvenc. In those camps, the following topics are covered:
- Therapy with makam music according to Dr. Rahmi Oruc Guvenc
- Theoretical information on the therapeutic qualities of the makam.
- Analysis of the makam in relation to Avicenna (Ibn-i Sina) medicine.
- Basic information and practice on tongue and pulse diagnostics.
In some camps, artists who carry the authentic traditions of different cultures join as instructors. They introduce the musical heritage and values of their culture and teach examples from this music.
Who Can Participate?
Makam Camp is not for the absolute beginner. To follow the lessons, the participants should be able to read musical notation.